Followers

http://lizzytishblog.blogspot.com's Fan Box

Saturday, October 11, 2008

potato pancakes

Lots of times when I'm asked what my favorite food is, I can't think of the ultimate. I like so MUCH food it's hard to narrow it down. But the other day I had an epiphany: potato pancakes! My inspiration stems from the fact that I have twice made mashed potatoes recently for the explicit purpose of having leftovers to turn into these delicious gems, and my kids have eaten up every last bit! And neither of them likes potato pancakes! Coincidence? I think not! It's a conspiracy to keep me from my favorite comfort food. So, very soon, I will be making a whole pot of potatoes for the sole purpose of glorious 'cakes!

My recipe is haphazard; no measuring involved. Just take the cold leftover mash, add an egg, a small handful of flour, maybe onion powder and salt and pepper. Mix with a fork -- the dough shouldn't be too dry, but dry enough to clump together a bit. Drop into hot oil in a skillet (I use olive oil to try and be healthy, but I guess we are talking about fried mashed potatoes, so who cares!). Brown on both sides and sprinkle with a little more salt. Bliss!

No comments: